Solid Car Rental is a 100% Costa Rican company with over 20 years of experience. We strive to provide our clients with an excellent car rental experience,, based on the highest standards of service and the best possible value. We know the meaning of service!
We cordially invite you to enjoy the wonders of Costa Rica. Whether you are here for business or pleasure, we do have a lot to offer, and we want to help make your experience a memorable one.
The Solid Experience
From our selection of cars, options and additional services, to our conveniently located offices in San José, Juan Santamaría International Airport, Liberia International Airport in Guanacaste, Puerto Jiménez, Dominical, Golfito and Paso Canoas, to our experienced and attentive staff, Solid Car Rental is prepared to make your car rental experience as simple, pleasant and exciting as possible, while providing the best value in car rental services.
We offer a variety of very affordable and competitive insurance plans and options for your protection.
You must be familiar with all rental clauses in the rental agreement. All insurance and additional coverage will become null and void if the vehicle is driven by an unauthorized driver, if an accident occurs while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or if the accident is caused by negligence or intentionally provoked.
In case of an accident, theft or damage to your car, please follow these instructions to apply for insurance protection:
- Call SOLID CAR RENTAL, and follow our representative’s directions. Main Office Number (506)-2442-6000, Emergency Beeper (506) 2225-2500 (Code: SOLID)
- Call 911 to report the incident to the authorities: Traffic officers and the National Insurance Institute (INS) for accidents or the OIJ for theft. (911 Emergency Line provides a bilingual service – English / Spanish). When appropriate, complete all accident and official reports, and retain your copies to deliver to us at Solid Car Rental.
- Under no circumstances should you move the vehicle before the traffic police officer authorizes you to do so.
CDW - Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver Insurance protects the vehicle from collision damage. CDW Coverage is obligatory, but may be declined in case you have a credit card auto rental collision insurance program. CDW does not cover partial robbery, lost or damaged car accesories or personal belongings. Deductibles apply as indicated below, such that you are responsible for damages up to the maximum deductible amount.
For our smaller cars, a deductible of US $950.00 applies for collision damage. In case of theft or total loss, the deductible will be US $1,500.00. For our medium and standard cars, a deductible of US $1,500.00 applies for collision damage. In case of theft or total loss, the deductible will be US $2,500.00 For our large or luxury cars, a deductible of US $2,500.00 applies for collision damage. In case of theft or total loss, the deductible will be US $3,500.00.
- Accidents or damage caused while driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Driving the vehicle through inaccessible paths, rivers, shorelines, swamps or similar places.
- Accidents or damages caused to the vehicle by negligent driving, or provoked incidents not contemplated in the traffic police or insurance company reports.
- The vehicle shall not be driven by persons that are not specifically authorized in the rental contract. (Non-authorized drivers).
- The coverage does not include lost keys, tools, and removable radios, discharged batteries because the car lights were left on, broken or cut tires and wheels.
- The insurance neither covers towing nor rescue costs, nor payments for the utilization of cranes or for hauling the car to the main office.
- The coverage excludes a vehicle that was left under hazardous conditions, or in isolated places, thus facilitating a potential theft.
CDWZ - Zero Deductible Collision Damage Waiver
Collision Damage Waiver extension which relieves you from payment of deductible amounts in case of accident damage, theft or total loss. This additional covergae does not relieve you of the responsibility for payment of the 20% deductible on Third Party Damage or Civil Liability.
SLI - Third Party Damage and Civil Liability
Protection against responsibility for damage to third parties or the property of third parties in case of an accident. A deductible of 20% of the total damages applies.
Accidents or damages caused to third parties or the property of third parties by negligent driving, or provoked incidents not contemplated in the traffic police or insurance company reports.
SLIZ - Zero Deductible Third Party Damage and Civil Liability
Relieves you of responsibility for payment of 20% deductible for Third Party Damage or to the Property of Third Parties. This additional coverage does not relieve you of the responsibility for payment of the deductible in case of Collision Damage.
ACC - Accessory Protection
Protects against loss, damage or theft of accesories such as window glasses, tires, antenna, radio, tools and car keys.
If you are flying, we provide shuttle services to and from Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO), or Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport in Liberia, Guanacaste (LIR). Vehicles may be delivered to your hotel, or to any place within the Greater Metropolitan Area.Alternatively, you can pick-up your vehicle at any of our offices throught the country.
Vehicles can also be delivered to any place in the country at an additional cost, depending on the location.
Different Drop-Off Location
In case you need to drop-off your car at a different location than where you picked it up, drop-off charges may apply depending on the location and on the total length of rental.
We will waive drop-off charges if your rental is for one week or more in the Green or Rainy Season, or if it is for more than two weeks during the High Season. Mileage Charges
Our vehicles are rented with unlimited free mileage, except for rentals with a length of less than three days. In such a case, mileage charges may apply.
Driver Age and Additional Drivers
All drivers must be at least twenty-one years of age and have a valid driver’s license. Additional drivers may be added to your rental contract at a nominal additional fee. Please bear in mind that insurance coverages are null and void if the car is driven by an unauthorized driver.
We require security deposits on all our rentals. These range from US $950.00 for smaller vehciles, $1,500.00 for medium or Standard vehicles, and US $2,500.00 for Large or Luxury vehicles.
Forms of Payment
We require a valid Credit Card at time of Rental, altough you may choose to settle your bill in cash at the end of the contract. We accept all credit cards: VISA, MASTER CARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS, and DINNERS CLUB; among others.
Tips on Driving in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is a wonderful place. To help you make the most of your stay and of your driving experience here, please take some time to read through the following tips and recommendations.
Addresses and Directions
One of Costa Rica’s quaint customs is that addresses and directions are usually given in terms of the distance (north, south, east or west) a specific destination is from a well know landmark . For example, to get to our offices in Liberia, Guanacaste, you would be told “From Burger King in Liberia one hundred meters west on the road to the Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport and to Guanacaste’s mayor beaches”. Street names and numbers are not used except ocasionally for downtown San José only. Bear in mind that one block is always assumed to be 100 meters, regrardless of whether the block is significantly shorter or longer.
Traffic Symbols and Road Signs
Most traffice symbols are international in design, and should be easily recognized, exept that ours are, of course, in Spanish. “Alto” means “Stop”, and “Ceda” means “Yield”. Turning right at red lights after stopping is allowed unless otherwise indicated at the specific corner.
When driving to a specific destination, for example to Manuel Antonio Beach to the South, it is usual not to see any signs on the road saying this is the route to Manuel Antonio. It is usual to see signs indicating required turn-offs or exits to your, or to other destinations.
Speed Limits and Other Traffic Regulations
Speed limits are 90 kph (about 55 mph) on highways, which is reduced to 60 kph (about 35 mph) on curves and intersections, and to 25 kph (about 15 mph) near School Crossings. Seat belts are mandatory, as is having Child Safety Seats for small children. Breaking Traffic Laws can be expensive, especially with traffic laws introduced in 2010. Drunk driving is a very serious offense in Costa Rica and can actually land you in jail.
Costa Rican Roads
Costa Rican roads can be difficult. Outside of San José or other cities, be on the lookout for potholes, narrow bridges, bicycles, pedestrians and catlle. Some of the more rewarding destinations can only be accessed by unpaved roads, whcih are generally fine to drive on, especially during the Dry Season (December through April). During the Green or RainySeason, we recommend renting a 4×4 if you know your destinations may be a little more difficult to reach.
In case of a traffic accident, or if you need an ambulance, dial 911 and explain the nature of your emergency. Call Solid Car Rental’s emergency numbers immediately so we can assist you directly.
In some remote areas of the country, service stations can be few and far between. Please make sure you have enough fuel when heading away from population centers.
Costa Rica is, generally, a safe country, but it is always advisable to be cautious and prepared. The following safety recommendations will help make your stay in Costa Rica a pleasant and safe one:
- Leave your valuables at your Hotel Safety Deposit Box. This includes your passport. Carry some other form of ID or a copy of your passport.
- Be aware of currency exchange rates. A lot of Costa Rican business do accept dolars but will give you a lower exchange rate than banks.
- When walking, dont carry obvious valuables or large amounts of cash. Be careful with personal electronics such as cameras, binoculars, iPods, iPads, portable personal computers and similar items.
- Registered taxis are red and have yellow triangles with their registration number on the doors. Taxis are required to use meters and you should pay what the meter reads. It is not customary to tip taxi drivers, but tips are always appreciated.
- Try to park only in parking lots or in well illuminated areas. Do not leave valuables in your car, especially in plain sight. Always lock your car.
- If you are bumped from the rear or are told by another driver you have a flat tire or some other car problem, or if you think you are being followed, DO NOT STOP!, but drive on to a service or public area. Ask for police assistance if needed.
- Police vehicles should be properly identified with blue and red flashing lights.
- If you get lost, continue to the nearest service or public area before pulling out your map to get your bearings again.
Services & Extras
In addition to our excellent line of automobiles and 4×4s, we offer the following range of Options, Extras and Services to make your driving experience in Costa Rica the best it can be.
Roof Racks for additional luggage carrying capacity, surf boards or other equipment. US $5.00/day
Child Safety Car Seat
Child Safety Car Seat for toddlers and children up to 4 years old. Costa Rican law requires children to travel in an adequate child car safety seat. US $5.00/day
We offer the most complete an efficient GPS system in Costa Rica at a low price. Save time and money, and avoid unnecessary delays and risks. US $10.00/day
Additional drivers authorized on your rental contract. Additional drivers must be at least twenty-one years old and have a valid driver’s license. US $5.00/day
Sell prepaid fuel Ask us!
Pick-Up and Drop-Off Service
If you need that we deliver or pick-up your rental anywhere in the country, just let us know and you are done! Different rates apply, depending on length of rental and requested location. Ask us!
Car and Driver
We can provide you with a highly trained and seasoned driver to do the driving for you. Different rates apply, depending on length of rental and requested location. Ask us!
We will drive you to or pick you up from any destination in Costa Rica, without your having to rent the vehicle for the rest of your stay. Different rates apply, depending on your destination or location. Ask us!